Math fraction are numbers that are expressed as the ratio of two numbers. These are primarily used for comparison between parts and the whole. A fraction can be a part of an object or a group of objects.
- Simplify Fractions
- Adding Fractions
- Multiplying Fractions
- Subtracting Fractions
- Dividing Fractions
- Proper Fractions
- Improper Fractions
- Mixed Fractions
- Like Fractions
- Unlike Fractions
- Fraction Calculator
- Fraction Simplifier
- Mixed Fraction Calculator
- Convert Fraction to Decimal
- Convert Decimal to Fraction
- we can find one half of pastry by cutting the pastry into two equal parts.
- We can find one half of a packet of jelly beans by dividing the jelly beans into two equal groups.
- Each group or share is better known as one half and this is same for other fractions as well.
- Fractions that are equivalent are nothing but fractions that are equal.
For example, 3 out of 7 is equivalent to 6 out of 14.
In Fraction learning, one can learn addition of fractions, subtraction of fractions, multiplication of fractions, division of fractions, comparing fractions and converting fractions. Working with fraction is when we start to work with a part or parts of whole number.
Table of Contents
Fraction is a number that represents the part of a whole . And it can be defined as “An expression that indicates the quotient of two quantities” .
Example : 12/13 is a fraction
Parts of Fraction:
Fraction has the following parts ,
- Numerator : Numerator tells how many parts in the fraction , for example in a fraction 12/13, here 12 is the numerator
- Denominator : Denominator says the number of equal parts in the whole object. In the example 12/13, 13 is the denominator
- Vinculum : Which is nothing but divide by. Example /
Types of Fractions
There are three types of fractions:
- Proper fractions
- Improper fractions
- Mixed fractions
1. Proper Fractions
The proper fraction is known as the numerator part is smaller than the denominator value. The common format of the fraction is numerator / denominator . The numerator is declaring the top part. The denominator is declaring the bottom part. The example is a/b.
The example of the proper fraction is 45/60
2. Improper Fractions
Improper fraction is a fraction, where the top number of fraction that the numerator is greater than or equal to its own denominator (bottom number) and the value of that fraction is greater than or equal to one.
Examples of improper fractions: 7/2,8/8,45/23,123/120
3. Mixed Fractions
Mixed Fraction or Mixed Number is the combination of integer + proper fraction other wise we tell as integer followed by proper fractions ( please note that for integers we should only consider the negative integers, as every whole number is an integer but not every integers are not whole numbers).
It can be also explained as a combination of both whole number and a proper fraction.
For example, mixed fractions 11/9 converted into improper fraction, here 11 is divided by 9 we get the quotient as 1 and remainder as 2, so mixed fraction will be written in the form of 1 2/9.
Examples of Mixed fractions: 1 2/9, 3 2/7
Solved Fraction Examples
Question 1: Lets take 12/14.
Here both 12 and 14 are divisible by 2 so lets divide the fraction with 2.
So we get 12/14 = 6/7 Now 6/7 does not have any common factors so 6/7 is the simplified fraction.
So both 18 and 42 are divisible with 2, 3, 6.
Question 2: Simplify 24/27
Here both 24 and 27 are divisible by 3.
So divide the numerator and denominator by 3
24/27 = 8/9. Now 8 and 9 does not have common factors, so 8/9 is the simplified fraction.
How to Simplify Fractions
- In order to simplify fractions, we first need to find the common factor of both the numerator and denominator (A common factor is any number that divides both the numerator and denominator). Like 3 divides 6 and 21.
- Then continue dividing the fraction with the common factor till there are no more common factors in the numerator and denominator.
- Now the fraction is called as simplified fraction as no common factors remaining which can divide both the numerator and denominator.
How to Solve Fractions
1.How to Add fractions
There are two different types of adding fractions:
- Adding Fractions with same denominators
- Adding Fractions with different denominator
2. How to Subtract Fractions
Subtracting fractions can be of different types which are mentioned below namely:
- Subtract Fractions with different denominators
- Subtract Fractions with mixed numbers
- Subtract Fractions with whole numbers
3. How to Multiply Fractions
Multiplying is another calculation of fractions based on the mathematical operation of multiplication. Get fractions help from expert tutors and learn the concept of multiplication with fractions.
Example: 2/3 x 3/5 = 6/15
4. How to Divide Fractions
Dividing fractions is nothing but calculating with the application of division. There are different types to and these are stated below namely:
- Divide Fractions with variables
- Divide Fractions with whole numbers
- Divide Fractions with mixed numbers
5. How to Simplify Fractions
There are two different types of simplifying of fractions and below is mentioned these namely:
- Simplify Fractions with variables
- Simplify Mixed Fractions
6. How to Convert Fractions
Converting fractions is one of the important operations related to fraction calculation. We will learn how to convert fractions to decimals. This is done maintaining a process.
There are two types of decimals, Terminating Decimals and Non Terminating Repeating Decimals (or Periodic Decimals) and different types of process is applied for both the conversions.
To perform the fraction bars to find the sum, locate the fraction bars for the addends next to all other in the same row. Together, all other fraction bars denotes the sum. Then, if there is more than one kind of fraction in the sum, use another row to calculate an corresponding fraction using only one kind of fraction bar.
Fraction Word Problems
Below you could see the solved examples of fraction word problems
Question 1: A soft drink sold yesterday at Kevin’s supermarket, 2/4 was Pepsi and another 3/4 was coke. Find out at what fraction of the soft drinks sold was either Pepsi or coke?
Fraction of Pepsi sold = 2/4
Fraction of coke sold = 3/4
Fraction of soft drinks sold was either Pepsi or coke =?
Add the Fraction of Pepsi and coke to get the fractions for either Pepsi or coke
= 2/4 + 3/4
Here the denominators are same, so add the numerators.
Fraction of soft drinks sold was either Pepsi or coke is 5/4 .
Question 2: Queen prepared some cookies in the morning. She used 5/6 of a cup of flour, and 3/6 cup of sugar for the preparation of cookie. How much more flour did Queen use than sugar?
Amount or quantity of flour used = 5/6
Amount or quantity of sugar used = 3/6
Amount or quantity of flour used than sugar =?
By subtracting the amount of sugar from the flour, we can get the amount of flour used.
= 5/6 – 3/6
Amount or quantity of flour used than sugar = 1/3
Fraction calculator – Below enter mixed number, fraction or integer in input field then select operation and click on the calculate button.
Steps to use Fractions Calculator:
- Enter enter mixed number, fraction or integer in the first and second input fields.
- Select addition, subtraction, division or multiplication.
- Click on the calculate button to check the result.