Mixed Number (Mixed fraction) Calculator: Use our mixed number calculator to add, subtract, multiply and divide mixed numbers, fractions and integers.
A mixed fraction is an expression composed of two parts, one of which is entire and the other fractions. Thus called mixed fractions. A mixed number has a whole number part and a fractional part. Mixed numbers come between consecutive whole numbers on the number line.
A mixed number is a whole number with a fraction tagging along behind it. To add, subtract, multiply or divide with mixed numbers first we have to convert them into improper fraction (fraction in which the numerator is larger than the denominator).
- Simplify Fractions
- Adding Fractions
- Multiplying Fractions
- Subtracting Fractions
- Dividing Fractions
- Proper Fractions
- Improper Fractions
- Mixed Fractions
- Like Fractions
- Unlike Fractions
- Fraction Calculator
- Fraction Simplifier
- Mixed Fraction Calculator
- Convert Fraction to Decimal
- Convert Decimal to Fraction
How to use Mixed Numbers Calculator
Steps for Mixed Number calculator:
- Enter values for mixed fractions.
- Select a math symbol of add, subtract, multiply and divide.
- Click on the calculate button.
- Now, you can check step by step solution with answer.
- Optional: Click on reset button to start afresh.
How to Simplify Mixed Numbers:
Mixed fraction has two parts: first part is the whole number, is the number before the fraction. And the second part is the fraction numerator and denominator numbers. The whole number of mixed fraction must be an integer. You can enter decimal numbers in fraction parts.
- Focus on the sign between the given mixed numbers.
- If the sign is addition or subtraction then add or subtract the whole numbers first.
- If the sign is multiplication or division then convert to improper fractions.
- In addition and subtraction take out the fraction part separately and check the bottom numbers are same. If it is same simply add or subtract the numerators with same denominator.
- In division invert the second improper fraction and change the sign to multiplication and then simplify.
- In addition and subtraction simplify the fraction then add the whole number with the fraction.
- In multiplication and division simplify the improper fraction and the convert into improper fraction.
Mixed Number Examples
Question 1: Simplify 4 1/8 + 2 3/8
Step 1 : 4 1/8 + 2 3/8
Addition is given between the two mixed fraction.
Step 2 : Add the whole numbers
4 + 2 = 6
Step 3 : The bottom numbers are same 8. So add the numerator.
1/8+3/8 = 4/8
Step 4 : 4/8 is a proper fraction which can be simplified as 1/2.
Write 6 with 1/2 = 6 1/2
Answer : The answer is 6 1/2 or 13/2
Question 2: Simplify 6 3/5−2 1/5
Step 1: Subtraction symbol is given between the improper fraction.
6 3/5−2 1/5
Step 2: Subtract the whole numbers first.
6 – 2 = 4
Step 3: The bottom numbers are same 5. So subtract the numerator.
3/5−1/5 = 2/5
Step 4: 2/5 is a fraction which cannot be simplified. So write the whole number together with this fraction.
Answer : The answer is 4 2/5 or 22/5