Unlike fractions: Two fractions are called as unlike fractions, if the denominators of those fractions are different.
Example: 1/5 and 3/6, here both the fractions have different denominators, so they are unlike fractions.
Students can learn more about dissimilar fractions on Fractions help which speak about the differences and the rules to be followed accordingly. The following is an example showing the operation of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division with Unlike fractions. Students can solve other problems on the same lines.
- Simplify Fractions
- Adding Fractions
- Multiplying Fractions
- Subtracting Fractions
- Dividing Fractions
- Proper Fractions
- Improper Fractions
- Mixed Fractions
- Like Fractions
- Unlike Fractions
- Fraction Calculator
- Fraction Simplifier
- Mixed Fraction Calculator
- Convert Fraction to Decimal
- Convert Decimal to Fraction
Unlike Fractions Definition
Unlike fraction means nothing but when the denominators of more fractions having different value it is called as unlike fractions. When the fraction are in unlike fraction we can convert to like fractions for easy simplification and also getting proper fraction result.
Examples : unlike fractions – 29/5, 9/8, 8/3.
Adding and Subtracting Fractions with Unlike Denominators
Below you could see adding unlike fractions and subtracting unlike fractions with following steps:
- Step 1: Find the LCM of denominators.
- Step 2: Convert all of the known fractional number into an equivalent fraction with the same LCM as denominator.
- Step 3: Taking LCM as the common denominator include each and every one the numerators.
Question 1: 3/5 + 1/2
Step 1: LCM of 5 and 2 = 10
Step 2: 3×2/5×2 + 3×2/5×2
1×5/2×5 = 6/10 + 5/10
Step 3: 6+5/10
Question 2: 3/7 – 1/3
Step 1: LCM of 7 and 3 = 21
Step 2: 3×3/7×3 – 1×7/3×7
= 9/21 – 7/21
Step 3: 9−7/21
Multiplying Fractions with Unlike Denominators
Steps to follow for multiplying fractions with unlike denominators:
- Step 1: Write the given fraction numbers for the multiplication.
- Step 2: Multiply the numerator(top numbers) and denominators(bottom numbers) of the given fractions.
- Step 3: Simplify it further.
Multiplying fractions with unlike denominators Example:
Question: 3/5 x 7/11
Step 1: Given fractions are: 3/5 and 7/11
Step 2: 3×7/5×11
Step 3: 21/55
Dividing Fractions with Unlike Denominators
Steps to follow for Dividing Fractions with Unlike Denominators:
- Step 1: Write the given fraction numbers for division.
- Step 2: Write the reciprocal of second fraction.
- Step 3: Multiply the numerator(top numbers) and denominators (bottom numbers) of the first fraction and reciprocal of second fraction.
- Step 4: Simplify it further.
Dividing Fractions with Unlike Denominators Example:
Question: Divide 5/7 by 3/2
Step 1: Given fractions are 5/7 and 3/2
Step 2: Reciprocal of 3/2 = 2/3
Step 3: 5×2/7×3
Step 4: 10/21
Unlike Fractions Calculator
Use our unlike fractions calculator for adding, multiplying, dividing and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators. Enter values in unlike fractions calculator, then select a math operation and click on calculate button. It shows step by step solution along with final result.
A fraction is a number that can represent part of a whole. The fractions are reciprocals of integers, symbols representing one half, one third, one quarter, and so on.
- Proper fractions – The fractions where numerator is less than the denominator are called proper fractions.Example: 2/5.
- Improper fractions – The fractions where numerator is greater than the denominator are called improper fractions. Example: 13/5.
- Mixed fractions – It has a combination of a whole number and a proper fraction.Example: 3 1/2