SSC CGL Syllabus 2020: SSC CGL 2020 Syllabus is divided into 4 parts tier 1, 2, 3 and 4. The syllabus and the pattern of the exam is different depending on the tier of the exam. It is important to know the pattern and syllabus of the exam, in order to excel in the exam.
SSC CGL 2020 Tier 1 and Tier 2 are computer based exams, while Tier 3 is a pen and paper based test. Tier 4 is computer proficiency and skills test and also include verification of documents. Tier 1 and Tier 2 of SSC CGL are preliminary exams. Marks obtained in tier 1 and tier 2 is used as qualification criteria for Tier 3 and Tier 4 test.
- SSC CGL Tier 1 has a negative marking 0.50 marks
- Tier 2 has a negative marking of 0.25 marks. while Tier III and Tier IV have no negative marks.
SSC CGL Syllabus 2020 for Tier 1 Exam
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||25||50||60 minutes|
The SSC CGL syllabus 2020 for tier 1, which is the initial level of the exam and tests the basic understanding of General Intelligence & Reasoning, General Awareness, Quantitative Aptitude and English Language sections. Tier 1 exam is an online objective exam and has 100 questions and each question has 2 marks, making it total of 200 marks.The duration of the test is 60 minutes. For Visually Handicapped and cerebral Palsy students the time limit is extended to 80 minutes.
SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam Pattern
- Tier 1 has negative marking for wrong answers, for every incorrect answer about half mark to be deducted from the final score. For Visually Handicapped candidates duration is increased to 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- General intelligence and reasoning: It includes questions to test verbal and non-verbal ability. It includes questions on analogies, similarities & differences, problem solving, analysis, decision making, syllogism, Venn diagram, word building, coding & decoding, emotional intelligence, social intelligence and various other sub topics
- General awareness: includes questions to test the knowledge on business environment, political environment, questions on history, geography and economics and political environment.
- Quantitative aptitude: This includes questions to test the quantitative ability for the person which includes topics arithmetic, ratio and proportion, speed – distance – time, mensuration, coordinate geometry, trigonometry, profit and loss, unitary method, permutation, and combination etc.
- English comprehension: This section helps to test the English comprehension and writing skill of the person.
SSC CGL Syllabus 2020 for Tier 2 Exam
|1||Quantitative Abilities||100||200||2 Hours|
|2||English Language and Comprehension||200||200||2 Hours|
|4||General Studies (Finance & Economics)||100||200||2 Hours|
It is an online objective exam with four sections and each section has 100 questions of 2 marks each, making it total of 200 marks for each of the section.
SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam Pattern
- The 1st and 2nd exam papers are compulsory for all whichever SSC CGL post you are applying.
- The 3rd exam paper is only for “statistical investigator Gr. II & compiler” post
- The 4th exam paper is only for “Assistant audit officer” post
- The exams of 1, 3 and 4 has 0.5 negative mark and 2nd has 0.25 negative mark is cut for every wrong answer
- Exam 1 is of 10th level, Exam 2 is of 10+2 level and Exam 3rd and 4th is of graduation level
- Computer will be provided at the center allocated by the commission to respective candidate, therefore the candidate need not bring any electronic devise along with him to the examination center
- Candidates are not allowed to bring their own key boards for the exam, the same would be provided at the respective center
- For Visually Handicapped candidates, duration is extended to 2 hours 40 minutes.
Tier 2 exam: This section is further dependent on paper I, II, III and IV.
Paper I tests the quantitative abilities of the person – this section tests the number sense of the person. This include range of topics arithmetic, ratio and proportion, speed –distance –time, mensuration, coordinate geometry, trigonometry, profit and loss, unitary method, permutation, and combination. This also includes questions on geometry etc.
Paper II tests the English language comprehension of the person. This includes various questions which cover grammar based questions, reading comprehension, English proficiency, and para jumble, fill in the blanks, idioms and phrases, active-passive questions etc.
Paper III. This is conducted to test the understanding of statistics of the persons and covers topics ranging from presentation of statistical data, central tendency, dispersion, Correlation regression, probability, sampling theory, time series, variance, index numbers etc.
Part IV is divided into two parts:
Part A includes Finance and accounts – This tests the basic knowledge and understanding of accounting concepts
Part B includes Economics and governance – This includes questions on the concepts of economics, concepts of economics, macroeconomics and also includes questions of economic and financial structure of India, monetary and fiscal structure of India etc.
SSC CGL Syllabus 2020 for Tier 3 Exam
|Descriptive Paper in English/Hindi|
(Writing of Essay, Precis, Letter, Application etc.)
It is used to test the writing abilities of the person. It includes writing essay/application/letter on a random topic to test the writing skills. The candidate can use Hindi and English as per the choice and comfort. It is a qualifying exam, after qualifying this exam only, the candidate will be allowed to sit to the next Tier exam.
SSC CGL Tier 3 Exam Pattern
- The SSC CGL Tier 3 exam duration is of 60 mins and is of 100 marks
- Level of the exam is of the same as 10+2
- It is a qualifying exam, after qualifying this exam only, the candidate will be allowed to sit to the next Tier
- For Visual handicapped and cerebral Palsy students, the exam duration is extended to 1 hour 20 minutes.
SSC CGL Syllabus 2020 for Tier 4 Exam
This include couple of tests which are necessary for some of the government jobs.
Data Entry Speed Test (DEST): It is qualifying test used to test the typing speed for all the jobs except the job of “compiler”. Basically candidates are given written material in English and they need to make 2000 key depressions. The duration of the test is 15 minutes.
Computer Proficiency Test (CPT): This test is conducted in 3 modules which tests the following proficiency of the candidate-
- Word Processing
- Spread sheet (knowledge of basic excel formulas)
- Ability to generate slides (and prepare presentation and meaningful graphs)
It is applicable for the aspirants of Assistants of CSS.
SSC CGL Syllabus: FAQ
Is there negative marking in SSC CGL exam?
Each wrong answer costs a negative marking of 0.50 Marks in SSC CGL tier 1 exam. There is a negative marking of 0.25 Marks for each wrong answer in SSC CGL tier 2 exam.
Are SSC CGL Tier-I Marks will be considered for final selection?
Yes, not only SSC CGL tier 1 but marks from all Tiers will be taken into considered while preparing the final merit list.
What are the posts that require DEST?
Data Entry Speed Test (DEST) require for only the post i.e Tax Assistants (Central Excise & Income Tax). It’s qualfying test, where aspirants needs to qualify in data entry.
Is there sectional cut off in SSC CGL exam?
No, only overall cut off marks will be consider to select the candidates in each stage of SSC CGL exam.